Media has become more of a drama theatre much more so than actual journalisn nor free press. Decades ago, there were more than 60 organizations who owned the media. Today media is owned by a handful of corporations who dictate what is reported as “news” to American people. Very few prominent media sources exist anymore that do not have some guy upstairs directing what gets reported with a hard hand.
We (journalists) are supposed to be holding those in power accountible. We’re not supposed to be their megaphone. That’s what corporate media has become.
~ Amy Goodman
Listen to this TED talk by veteran investigative journalist Sharyl Attkisson as she describes in detail how political, corporate and special interest groups quite effectively manipulate and distort media messages. Beware of “astroturf” in the guise of grassroots movements. She describes red flags of propaganda, fake news and media myths.
The drama of the media theatre escalates dramatically during election years. Particularly during times of political controversy and revolution, media plays a crucial role. Typical TV & radio media deliver warped stories and issues while at the same time definitely suppressing others.
Most mainstream news is intended as media bait to steer attention of the masses away from reality. At the same time, social media can become a formidable opponent to that effort.
Alternative Media Sources
1) Free Speech TV – FSTV is independent, with commercial-free television broadcasts. Select FSTV programs are syndicated. Newscaster personalities admired there certainly include Thom Hartmann and Amy Goodman. Free Speech is the place to take the pulse on ACTUAL news and/or to fact check. In fact, when there’s a media blackout about certain people (like Bernie Sanders) and related issues, you can bet Free Speech will tell you about it.
2) Russian Today RT is a Russian state-funded television network which runs cable and satellite television channels, as well as Internet content – unbiased coverage of international news.
3) AlterNet Since its inception in 1998, AlterNet.org has grown dramatically to keep pace with the public demand for independent news. They provide free online content with a mission to serve as a reliable filter, helping readers to navigate a culture of information overload and providing an alternative to the commercial media onslaught.
3) Common Dreams Provides breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. Independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported.
4) First Look “Founded by Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is based on the belief that democracy depends on a citizenry that is highly informed and deeply engaged in the issues that affect their lives. First Look seeks to improve society through journalism and technology, to help individuals hold the powerful accountable, build responsive institutions and, most important, shape their communities and what happens in their lives for the better.”
5) The Free Thought Project a hub for Free Thinking conversations about the promotion of liberty and the daunting task of government accountability.
6) The Guardian US based journalists covering American and international news for an online, global audience.
7) Open Secrets US website tracks the influence of money on U.S. politics, and how that money affects policy and citizens’ lives.
8) Occupy – Originating from the Occupy Wall Street movement, this site continues to publish about topics ignored by mainstream media, for example this article revealing $200 million paid to fast track the TPP. The article states exactly how much each legislator accepted for a yes vote AND which refused to accept lobbyist payoffs and voted no. Apparently this info was first published at OpenSecrets.com
9) Politifact – Politifact is based in Tampa Bay, and this link goes to their “truth meter” section
10) The Raw Story – Independent news site that focuses on stories often ignored in the mainstream media. Focus on policy, politics, legal and human rights stories beyond the infotainment culture driven solely by pageviews. Founded in Cambridge, MA in 2004,
11) FACT CHECK FactCheck.org is a nonpartisan, nonprofit “consumer advocate” for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. Monitors factual accuracy of what is said by major US political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding. Based at the University of Pennsylvania.
12) Al Jazeera U.S. based news channel – provides both domestic and international news coverage for its American audiences. Translated from Arabic, “Al Jazeera” means “peninsula.” Headquartered in NYC with bureaus in 12 cities across the US.
*** More possibilities below added February 2016 at recommendation of “Wake Up America and Feel the Bern” FB Group
Please Do Not listen to Corporate Media! Reliable News Sources Below:
- Democracy Now!
- The Intercept
- Mint Press News
- Shadow Proof
- Bill Moyers
- The Salon
Worst “News” Sources – Not News but Propaganda
Fox News (nicknamed by many as Faux Views) might be considered by far the worst propaganda network of all. The NY Times, Bloomberg, CNN and others NOT recommended for unbiased reporting. CNN has earned a popular nickname as well – Clinton News Network.
MSNBC recently cancelled programs from the few newscasters who DO repeatedly tell the truth, such as Ed Schultz.
Generally best to ignore mainstream media such as: Huffpost, Washington Post, Salon, NYT, MSNBC, CBS ,CNN, ABC , and Fox news. We have our own internet news who can counter measure the liars at the mainstream media .
Reliable Alternative News YouTube Channels:
- RingofFire Radio
- TYT network
- Secular Talk
- The HumanistReport
If YOU are reading this and know of other reliable sources for alternative news media that might be best to include among this list, please do respond below. Also we’d like to know if you think any media sources on the above lists might best not to include as reliable for truth media.
Comments appreciated below. Thanks.
Latest posts by Carolan Ross (see all)
- Media Narratives Contradict and Censor Themselves - March 19, 2018
- Selling Amazon FBA:State Sales Tax and Nexus Nightmares - April 25, 2017
- List of LEGIT Alternative Media Sources - February 6, 2016